Electric Cupcakes

| Wednesday, February 9, 2011 | |
So you can call these whatever you like...I've seen them called inside out cupcakes, rainbow cupcakes, fireworks cupcakes, etc...I called these Electric because...well...the colors were. They are really simple to make, but look AMAZING! I suggest using a white paper liner so you can see the cupcake's colors through it. That's my plan for next time.


ELECTRIC CUPCAKES

1 vanilla box cake mix (I used Duncan Hines French Vanilla)
1 c sour cream
1/3 c oil
1/2 c milk (I used Vanilla Almond Milk)
2 eggs
Food coloring of your choice (I suggest gel coloring. I used Duff Electric Gel colors - hence the name)
Small bowl of water

1) Preheat oven to 325° or 350° depending on your box directions. Prepare box cake mix with all ingredients except food coloring and water. Once the mix is blended well, separate the batter into however many colors you plan on using (I used 4 colors, so I separated the batter into 4 bowls) - NOTE: This is going to be a thick batter.

2) Drop in food coloring until you reach desired color (do this with all bowls - duh)

This is the only tricky part...finding out how much of each color batter you need to fill the cupcake pan. What I did was experiment with the first cupcake. I tested out how much of each batter I would need to fill the cup 2/3 - 3/4 full. For four colors I needed a little over 2 t of each color batter.

NOTE: Another good trick is to use water see how many teaspoons or tablespoons it takes to fill your liner. Then use that measurement for your batter.

3) Using a measuring spoon, scoop desired color batter and using a WET finger (that's what the bowl of water is for) slide the batter into the cupcake liner. Using the same wet finger, spread the batter to the edges of the liner. Repeat with all other colors.

4) Bake until done. Mine took about 18-20 minutes. Let them sit in the pan about 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Decorate as desired.

THEY ARE AMAZING!



Nutrition content based on cake portion only - NO frosting. I used the LIVESTRONG recipe calculator.
Idea courtesy of Our Best Bites

0 comments:

Post a Comment