Kiss my ass Red Baron

| Friday, November 26, 2010 | |
So I know I've been absent lately...but I've been kinda busy at work and what not...AND I've been getting ready to go to California. I'm getting LASIK in about a week and a half...I'm hella nervous. I saw my bf get it last time he was here and it is creepy. They have this machine that suctions up your eye ball to cut your corneal flap. Ew, ew, ew....and you can supposedly smell your eye burning as they cut it with a laser...yeah.

ANYWAY...Thanksgiving has finally passed and it is back to normal life. Today I'm making a HUGE pot of marinara sauce and decided I'm going to make and freeze pizza (move over DiGiorno). They make really good quick meals for those days you're super busy and/or super lazy...and either don't want to or can't cook.

I found a really good whole wheat pizza dough recipe awhile back and while the taste was always there, the texture was not something I loved. I mean, I figured it was something I would have to live with seeing as this was a whole wheat pizza crust...nothing healthy (or healthier) for you ever tastes good right (say it isn't so!!)? Oh how wrong I was...I actually found out that you should probably pre-bake this crust a little bit prior to adding the toppings so the crust doesn't turn out so dense and/or unappetizing. I stumbled upon this revelation the last time I made pizza. I baked two individual pizzas for my sister and I, and then pre-made two pizzas for my boys..and froze them. I made the pizza for my sister and I as I usually do...uncooked dough layered with sauce and cheese, baked as normal. BUT for the boys, I baked their crust for about 10 minutes in the oven (I figured it would be easier to freeze this way), cooled it, layered marinara and cheese, stuck them in the freezer, and then wrapped them in plastic wrap once they were frozen. Needless to say the pizza my sister and I ate turned out...eh. About 3 days later I was stuck on what to give the boys for lunch...lo and behold, I had those pizzas in the freezer (man, I'm so smart to make these ahead of time just for this type of situation)...so I set the oven to 450º, threw the pizza in and baked it for about 10-15 minutes (well...until the cheese was nice and gooey). It turned out GREAT! So great in fact that I'm doing it again today (duh, that's the whole point of this post right?)...and posting the recipe for the dough. I would post the recipe for the sauce as well, but alas, I don't measure anything. It takes a lot for me to measure...and I only do it so I can post stuff on here. Marinara is one of those things I just can't measure because it's kind of a season as you go type of dish. Maybe one day I'll stop being lazy and actually measure...we'll see....I wouldn't hold my breath.


Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (Breadmaker)
 (And btw, this makes A LOT of dough...so feel free to cut recipe in half if need be)

1.5 c + 2 T water (water temp should be about 80º)
2 T olive or vegetable oil
1 t salt
1 t sugar (I use stevia equivalent)
4 c whole wheat flour
2 t active yeast

1) Add liquid and next three ingredients to breadmaker

2) Add flour, tap pan and spread flour to the edges, making sure to cover the water. Make a small well in the flour and dump your yeast in it.

3) Run the dough cycle. Once the dough cycle is complete dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead one additional minutes. Let it rest for about 30-45 seconds

4) Here's where your decision making process starts. You can either roll the dough into a circle to fit your pizza pan OR you can roll it into a giant rectangle and proceed to cut individual pizza rounds from it (I used an overturned bowl as a stencil). I rolled out my dough pretty thin, about 1/4 of an inch.

5) Sprinkle the bottom of your pan with cornmeal (I used a large baking sheet to bake the individual pizza crusts), add dough on top and leave as is. I know you'll compulsively want to fold over the edges to make a thick crust, but don't do it. Resist those urges...it'll be better this way.

6) Let dough rise about 20 minutes. First pre-heat your oven to 450º and then push down the dough using your fingertips (creating a dimpled look to the dough), or if you would like the crust on the thinner side, with that crunchy texture, pierce the dough multiple times with a fork. Seriously, take out your aggression on that bitch and pierce away. The more holes you have the less likely your dough will puff up.

7) Throw it in the oven for about 3 minutes, take it out, flip it upside down, and return it to the oven for another 3 minutes. Once you take it out, the crust should be pretty crispy on the outside. LET IT COOL!

8) Once the crust has cooled, ladle sauce on top, and top with whatever you want. Plain cheese is always the way to go for me (as I can put whatever I want on them when I actually cook them later).

9) Place pizzas in freezer uncovered until frozen (should only take a couple of hours). Then take them out, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and return to freezer until you're ready to use them.

When you finally decide to bake them you can add any additional toppings prior to cooking. Pre-heat the oven to 450º, then place your pizzas directly on the rack (or a pizza stone of you have one) and cook for approximately 10-15 minutes....or until the cheese is all melty. Enjoy!


OH - and I suppose you could use regular all purpose or bread flour in place of the whole wheat flour...it would have a slightly different texture and taste, but I'm sure it would still taste great...and a lot more like traditional delivery or frozen pizza.

0 comments:

Post a Comment